i love math

i love math
I hope you get it.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I hate missing a day of work.

I don't hate missing a day simply because I need to plan on being sick. Planning on being sick involves staying a few hours late, or coming in a few hours early, or giving up one of my prep periods that are normally dedicated to planning / grading / organizing  and tutoring just so I can write explicit plans for an adult that has probably never been in my room, worked with my routines or taught math before. Every minute of our hour and a half long periods needs to be planned, because downtime = substitute death. Kids get crazy if they are given a minute to get crazy. Activities need to be smooth, easy to understand, no more than three steps and the students need to be able to work together because it keeps them happier. Planning to be sick is work, more work that just going to work sick.

I don't hate missing a day because I'm instantly a few days behind. One day of class is equal to two days of lessons. This means missing one day, puts one group of kids two days behind the other. That means I need to teach FOUR lessons in one class period just to get them caught up. Try explaining to a group of 40 teenagers you are teaching 100 pages in the book today (meaning they have a ridiculous amount of homework) because you had a cold/cramps/teeth pulled. They grow horns and start foaming at the mouth. They get angry, really, really angry. This is avoiding the fact that I missed meetings for my special education students (meetings general education teachers legally need to attend), I missed tutoring sessions, I missed grading time, planning time, follow up time, discussions with my administration, chats with other teachers about focus students, and I generally missed what the heck was going on in my classroom when I wasn't there. The only time I've had stuff stolen from my classroom is when I've had a sub (the rubber rat and garbage can shaped stress ball are still MIA. . . let me know if you find them). Imagine letting 110 people hang out in your house for 8 hours while someone you don't know is in charge. Are you kidding?

The real reason I hate missing a day of work? I worry about my kids, the entire time. I worry about whether the sub can handle their behavior, whether they are being respectful of each other (I had a student with special needs get things thrown at him while I was gone once) which is a constant bee buzzing in my ear, whether they are getting the material presented when I'm not there and whether or not  they feel safe. I constantly worry "What if they need me?" What if they need a grade check? What if they're going out of town and need a list of assignments for their trip? What if they didn't get number 23 on the homework and came in early (for once) for help? What if a kid has something they need to talk about, but I'm not there to listen? What if. . .what if . .  . what if. UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment